HOW TO BUY A GUN ONLINE
how to buy a gun online, STEP 1) Select a firearm from our expansive selection of handguns, rifles and shotguns. Then use our “Can we ship this to you?” tool (below the “Add to Cart” button) to determine if we can ship that item to your zip code according to local and state laws.
Add the firearm to your shopping cart, and then click checkout. Login to your Cheaper Than Dirt! Account for quick checkout or you may checkout as a guest (you’ ll have the option to create an account after checkout to save time on your next order).
Enter your billing address and click the green continue button.
STEP 2) Click the green “Choose FFL Dealer” button to pick where you would like the firearm shipped.
If the FFL dealer you would like to use is not listed, click the gray “Bypass” button and email us the dealer’s Federal Firearms License with your order number as the subject to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once you have selected a FFL dealer or chosen to email us your preferred dealer, press the green continue button, enter payment information and submit your firearm order.
STEP 3) Cheaper Than Dirt! will ship the firearm to the chosen FFL dealer. Once your gun arrives at the FFL dealer’s address they will call you to notify you of its arrival.
The FFL dealer will charge a nominal fee at the time of the transfer. The actual amount is up to the individual dealer, but this fee typically ranges from $15 to $60.
When you arrive at the FFL dealer, please inspect the firearm and ensure the model is correct before proceeding further. If there are any issues please call our Gun Sales department immediately.
STEP 4) Complete requirements for firearm transfer and take your new handgun, rifle or shotgun home!
The FFL dealer will ask you to fill out the federal, local and state required paperwork associated with your firearm as well as complete a background check. If you have any questions about the paperwork, background check or any other elements of the actual transfer, we recommend you contact the transferring FFL dealer with those questions.
It is important to inspect your firearm thoroughly before completion of the transfer. Once the firearm is transferred into your name, Cheaper Than Dirt! will not accept a return or exchange under any circumstance. If a defect is discovered after completing the transfer, you must contact the manufacturer directly for repair or replacement.
frequently asked questions
- Can a gun be sent to my house?
- Do I need to have a background check?
- Can I have the background check done before buying a gun?
- Do I need to have a license?
- Do I need to have a concealed carry permit?
- Is it legal to buy a gun online?
- Why does the firearm need to be shipped to a FFL?
- Can a gun be sent to my house? No, all firearms must be sent to a FFL (federal firearms license) dealer.
- Do I need to have a background check? Yes, all firearms purchases require a federally mandated background check to be completed by the FFL dealer at the time the firearm is picked up.
- Can I have the background check done before buying a gun? No, the background check must be completed at the time the firearm is transferred from the FFL dealer to you.
- Do I need to have a license? Most states do not have a licensing requirement, but some local or state laws require a gun license. Cheaper Than Dirt! recommends you check with your local FFL dealer or refer to the NRA-ILA to check your state’s gun laws.
- Do I need to have a concealed carry permit? No, you do not need a carry permit to buy a gun online.
- Is it legal to buy a gun online? Yes! It is entirely legal to purchase a firearm online, but the firearm must be shipped to a licensed FFL dealer.
- Why does the firearm need to be shipped to a FFL? The Gun Control Act of 1968 outlined new rules for selling and transferring firearms. As a result, it is now federal law to have all firearms shipped to a FFL dealer so the person the firearm is being transferred to can fill out the proper paperwork and complete the required background check.